How to Find the Best Electric Kettle – A Buyer’s Guide
Looking for the best electric kettle out there? On this page you’ll find a buyers guide with tips on choosing electric kettles. To skip the buyers guide and jump right to my recommended list of electric kettles to buy, please click on this link.
Electric kettles are a wonderful invention and we are blessed to have so many different kettles on the market. Now the question is: what is the best electric kettle out there? And what should you consider when you are choosing electric kettles? What type of kettle is most suitable for your needs? This article will try to answer these questions and help you to find the perfect kettle for you.
Let’s start with the basics. An electric kettle is a kitchen appliance used to heat water. These kettles are favored by many because they heat water more quickly than what can be done on a stovetop or in a microwave. Water is placed into a kettle and is warmed by a heating element until it reaches a specified temperature.
Many kettles simply heat water until it boils, and then automatically shut off. Other kettles have pre-set temperature controls that allow the user to decide how warm the water will become. Electric kettles are generally made of plastic, glass, or stainless steel. Once the water is heated, it can be poured through a spout into a mug or bowl. Kettles come with a handle to facilitate easy pouring and may be tall and slender or short and round.
Types of Electric Kettles Available
- Plastic Electric Tea Kettle: Kettles made of plastic tend to be less expensive than those made out of stainless steel. Some people complain that boiling water in these types of kettles results in a plastic taste. While recent studies have shown concerns about chemicals in plastic, most plastic kettles are made with BPA free materials.
- Stainless Steel Tea Kettle: Stainless steel kettles are a little more expensive than plastic ones for the most part, but the material leaves no taste. These types of kettles do run the risk of being quite hot on the outside while water is being boiled, so care is needed when using them.
- Tea Makers: Some kettles are specifically designed for making hot tea. These kettles often have multiple pre-set temperatures to allow for more specific heating, and some come with additional features like brewing baskets.
Factors to Consider When Choosing an Electric Tea Kettle:
- Size of Kettle: There’s a variety of sizes of kettles available today. Choose a larger one than you plan on using to make sure you have enough room. Most kettles can handle as little as two cups of water.
- Corded or Cordless: Some models have cords that plug directly into the kettle, while others lock into a small, corded base for heating. You may have to pay a bit more for a cordless model, but being able to detach the kettle will make for easier pouring.
- Temperature Settings: If you plan on brewing tea, pre-set temperature controls can be very convenient.
- Comfortable Handle: Try the handle out to make sure it feels comfortable to you.
- Easy to Read Water Gauge: Look at the water gauge from several different angles to see how easy it is to read. Some models offer two gauges – one for right hand users and one for those who favor their left.
- Safety Features: Automatic shut-off and boil-dry protection are two useful features to make sure your kettle doesn’t become damaged from misuse.
- No-Drip Spout: Check the quality of the spout to make sure you won’t lose half your water while pouring.
- Concealed Element: If you live in an area that has a high mineral occurrence in your water, consider a kettle with a concealed element. Mineral build-up tends to occur on non-concealed elements and can affect the taste of the water.
- Large Top Opening: The larger the opening on the top of a kettle the easier it will be to clean.
- Cord: Examine the cord length to make sure it will fit the way your kitchen is set up. Cord storage in the kettle base is a useful feature to have as well.
- Stay Warm Feature: Some kettles will keep your water warm for you for a set period of time (usually less than an hour). This can be useful if you plan on needing hot water over a length of time.
- Tea Features: If you enjoy tea, consider a kettle with some tea-related accessories. A brewing basket will help you make tea on a regular basis, but will still allow you to use the kettle to heat water.
Popular Brands of Electric Kettles:
- Hamilton Beach: Hamilton Beach offers several affordable kettle options. You’ll be able to find both plastic and stainless steel models with this brand, as well as a number of useful safety features. This brand has some fun colors as well, so if your kitchen décor differs from the norm they are worth a try.
- Cuisinart: Cuisinart is a common name in kitchen appliances, and they don’t disappoint with their electric kettles. They have a small assortment of high quality stainless steel kettles. Their products are a little more expensive than Hamilton Beach, but tend to have more features.
- Breville: Known more for their juicers and coffee makers, Breville has also branched into the world of tea making with their electric kettles. Expect to see high end stainless steel kettles with a number of tea-friendly features, including variable temperatures and brewing baskets.
- Toastess: Toastess has a huge variety of less expensive electric kettles that are perfect for first timers. Their kettles are jug-like in appearance and tend to be tall and slender. You’ll find both plastic and stainless steel models with this brand, as well as corded and cordless variations.
Electric kettles are a useful variation on the age-old stovetop kettle. Technology has allowed them to heat water more efficiently, allowing you an easy way to enjoy tea or other hot drinks. The large amount of variation in kettle size and appearance makes it easy to find one that will fit in with any kitchen, and their ease of use means people of any age can enjoy what they have to offer.
My Personal Recommendations for the Best Electric Kettles
There are a lot of electric kettles to choose from and sometimes making the right choice can be rather challenging. I’ve decided to come up with my top recommendations for the best electric kettles on the market. If I could only only use an electric water kettle for the rest of my life, it would be a kettle from the list below.
You can’t go wrong with choosing any of the electric kettles below. All of them have positive reviews by other users and from my personal tests, these are the top electric kettles out there.
Best Glass Electric Kettle (And the Best Kettle for Making Tea!)
Glass electric kettles are beautiful to behold. It’s actually really fun to see the water bubble and boil right in front of your eyes. A glass electric tea kettle is also free from any contaminants that might leak from contain with plastic or any possible rust from metal.
Glass is basically the most maintenance-free of all the materials used for electric kettles. While they look pretty on any kitchen countertop, be careful! You don’t want to slam them down too hard or drop them on the floor.
My top recommended for the best electric kettle made of glass is the legendary Breville tea maker, a best-selling and much loved kettle for good reason.
The Breville One-Touch Tea Maker. This tea maker makes it soooo easy to get a perfect cup of tea. I hate having to guess at the correct temperature for the type of tea I’m using, but with this machine you can use the variable temperature control to get the perfect amount of heat for your tea. The tea basket automatically lifts and lowers in order to steep your drink perfectly without any extra effort from you.
Aside from the variable temperature control, you can also customize your brew time in order to get that perfect cup of tea. I love that if I don’t want to drink all my tea at once, I can just turn on the keep warm feature to keep it at its perfect temperature for up to an hour. There’s also an LED that keeps track of how long the water has been sitting there so I can tell at a glance if it’s still good to drink. This tea maker really has everything a tea lover needs to get a perfect brew. If you want to treat yourself to a perfect cup every time, you can’t go wrong with this kettle!
Best Stainless Steel Electric Kettles – No Plastic Included!
If you’re worried about the negative effects of using plastic, these stainless steel electric kettles would be ideal for you. I’ve taken care to ONLY choose the ones that do not have any plastic that would come in contact with the boiling water. These stainless steel electric kettles are also good looking and easy to use as well.
Cuisinart CPK-17 PerfecTemp 1.7-Liter Stainless Steel Cordless Electric Kettle. Having this electric kettle on hand makes it so easy for me to heat up water for my family and me whenever we need it. It’s big, holding up to 1.7 liters of water at a time. It doesn’t just heat it up to boiling either – there are six temperature presets that make it easy to get the perfect water temperature for whatever type of tea I want to make. If I want to save some water for later, the 30 minute keep warm function makes it easy to do so.
Besides being functional, it’s also really easy to use. The blue back-lit water window makes it super easy to see how much water is in the kettle. Boil-dry protection and auto shut-off keeps it safe to use, and a removable scale filter keeps water tasting its best. It’s even easy to move around and pour because of its swiveling power base.
You really can’t beat a hard working kettle like this one. Whether you love tea, hot cocoa, or are just tired of heating up water on the stove, you’ll find what you’re looking for here.
Breville SK500XL Ikon Cordless 1.7-Liter Stainless-Steel Electric Kettle. My daughter has a tendency to turn mutinous if hot chocolate isn’t readily available on hot days, so an electric kettle like the Breville SK500XL is a necessity in my house. It does everything you could ask an electric kettle to do. It heats quickly, efficiently, and safely, all while looking great.
This kettle will heat up to 1.7 liters of water at a time, and does so at a very quick pace. It also takes good care of itself with its auto shut-off once it boils and its boil dry protection has saved me many a time. There’s a cute little “ready” signal that goes off once the water is ready. When it’s time to serve, just pick it up off its base by the comfortable stay cool handle and pour. The removable scale filter keeps the water as clean and pure as possible while the cushion controlled lid makes it easy to fill and clean.
I wasn’t joking when I said it looks great too! The stainless steel housing looks shiny and pretty on the counter while the built in cord storage keeps things from getting too cluttered.
There’s really not much else you could ask for from a kettle in this price range. If you want a high quality kettle that heats up lots of water very quickly, you can’t do better than this one.
Best Small Electric Kettles – Compact Travel Electric Kettles
Small electric kettles or portable electric kettles are usually much smaller and lighter than the normal countertop electric kettle. The downside is that they often only produce 500ml to 1 liter of water at a time. While there are cheaper small plastic electric kettles, I’ve decided to recommend an electric kettle that’s stainless steel AND cordless at the same time.
Chef’s Choice 673 Cordless Compact Electric Kettle. When a friend’s daughter moved into a dorm I wanted to get her a small electric kettle for cocoa, soup, and coffee. This Chef’s Choice model really fit the bill. With a one quart capacity and compact build it was perfect for her small dorm room. The base comes with cord storage which also helps save on space. The concealed heating element helps heat the water quickly without leaving behind any sort of nasty taste.
I worry about safety with anything I give away, so I was pleased to see this model both shuts off when the water boils and has a dry-boil auto shut-off. Even though it’s a pretty simple model, it has some nice little features. This includes a water level gauge in the handle, and illuminated on/off switch, and the ability to lift it off the base for cordless pouring.
I would recommend this kettle to anyone who needs a kettle that doesn’t take up too much space. It’s been working beautifully for my friend’s daughter so far, and I’m sure you’d love it too.
Best Value Electric Kettle Under $35
There are a lot of electric kettles for sale but finding a good one under $35 is not an easy task. I’ve decided to recommend the Aroma AWK-115S because it’s an excellent stainless steel electric kettle that’s highly durable and has all the basic features you need (auto-shutoff, cool touch handles, clear water indicated).
Aroma AWK-115S Hot H20 X-Press 1-1/2-Liter Cordless Water Kettle. This small, shiny electric kettle was a perfect addition to my tea-loving kitchen. It heats quickly and efficiently, holding up to 1 ½ liters at a time. Its stainless steel exterior looks lovely on my counter. It also looks great when I’m pouring and serving since it can be removed from its base for cordless pouring.
Another thing I really like about this kettle is its safety features, especially its auto shut-off that kicks in once it stars boiling. The washable spout filter is also nice for providing a clean flow of water. The water level indicator makes it very easy to tell at a glance how much water is on the boil, and the stay cool handle makes it very easy and comfortable to use.
This isn’t a deluxe model by any stretch of the imagination, but I think that really works in its favor. It heats water quickly without much fuss or needless features, which is something I really like. I would definitely recommend it for anyone looking for a simple yet functional kettle.